Our expert construction solicitors have the knowledge and experience to help you complete your projects on time and on budget. Our experts understand the construction industry and the pressures that contractors, sub-contractors, consultants and developers are under to offer highly skilled services and top-quality products at competitive prices. We set the same standards for ourselves.
Do you have the right construction contracts in place?
Our construction contracts team ensures that the right documentation with the right clauses is in place from the outset. We work proactively with our clients to remove any issues preventing timely commencement on site. We also recognize that construction contracts are not just important for a smooth-running project. Good contracts also provide clarity and security long after practical completion. Our expertise in construction law and industry practice gives our clients the edge.
We regularly work with standard forms such as JCT, NEC and FIDIC. We also draft and advise on development agreements, joint ventures, consultant appointments, collateral warranties, guarantees, bonds and other security documents.
Our construction solicitors are London based and led by a Legal 500 recommended partner, who is a construction law expert. Our work includes:
What if things don’t go to plan?
If problems arise, we can assist in resolving construction disputes through tenacious representation in formal proceedings or through careful negotiations and settlement agreements.
Our construction dispute solicitors carefully consider the facts of each case and provide clear advice on the best way to achieve your objectives, without having to resort to formal proceedings if at all possible. This is at a transparent and proportionate cost. We understand construction law and how to use our knowledge for our clients benefit.
Where proceedings are unavoidable, our experienced construction solicitors will guide you through your construction disputes, whether that be adjudication, litigation or arbitration, and look at all the available funding options.
Examples of our cases include:
- Acting for one of the UK’s largest privately owned property companies in multiple adjudications with a main contractor across a number of hotel projects including claims for loss and expense, prolongation, delay and various payment application issues
- Advising a rail provider in connection with the defective design of a railway bridge and the effect of delay to its construction
- Acting for a developer on a JCT D&B contract in connection with the defective specification of cladding and overlapping workmanship issues at a historic building in East Anglia
- Acting for an M&E contractor in several construction disputes, including pursuing over £2m through adjudication for outstanding payment applications and release of the first tranche of retention on a power station project against which the main contractor cross-claimed for liquidated damages for alleged delay
- Acting for an employer in successfully striking-out a contractor’s winding-up petition which it issued to try and enforce a High Court Judgment based on a ‘smash and grab’ interim adjudication award (see our article ‘Smash and grab’ Adjudications in the spotlight again)
- Acting for an international hotel chain against its main contractor under a JCT D&B contract for a new hotel in central London including adjudication over the method of valuation of omitted and varied works
- Acting as lead construction solicitor for a major insurer on a multi-million pound contract for works in the City of London and whether it was possible to omit works so as to preserve a liquidated damages entitlement
- Acting for an investor developer, which entered into a joint venture with national hotel chain for a new hotel build, following the insolvency of the main contractor mid-way through the contract and, subsequently, dealing with the Performance Bond claim